Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Pondering an R8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:03:14 -0800

> Tom Lianza wrote:
> > At the risk of being flamed and angering a few on this group, I'd
strongly
> > advise against the R8.  I own one and occasionally use it, but frankly,
for
> > me, it just doesn't work.  The vaunted ergonomics just don't seem to be
> > there.  Put a 180mm f2.8 lens on that body and hang it around your neck
> >and you might as well have a Rollei 6000 series SLR hanging on your
neck.<

Hi Tom,
That may well be correct as to hanging it on your neck, actually a very
wrong place to hang an R8 or any motor driven or not camera of equal size
and weight with a 180 2.8! The appropriate position for comfortable carry
and quick response use is on the right or left shoulder. Lens turned in
toward the body.

Actually as far as the ergonomics go, the R8 is wonderful and better than
most. I wondered if you might have tiny hands? Therefore a consideration to
your discomfort of handling, but then handling a Nikon motor driven F5 or
the Canon EOS1 might then cause you equal discomfort.

If you find a discomfort with one R8 and a 180, motor driven or not, you
might consider working with three motordriven R8's, two on the left
shoulder, and one on the right and a couple of M6's riding the sternum. ;-)

Oh and the R8's?

One with the 280 2.8 and the other 80-200, both on the left and the right
with a wide lens of some type.

The M's the Noctilux, the other a 21.  And with all that loaded one might
consider it a tad uncomfortable at times after a long day of moving and
shooting. :-)

Oh yeah this isn't a flame nor anger, just that some of us work it and don't
complain. ;-)

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant