Subject: Re: [Leica] New 21-35 R zoom lens. ?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:47:25 -0500

Yes indeedy, I did play with one at PMA.  It seems nice and crisp out 2/3's
or so wide open.  Distortion seemed like the current 21 ASPH meaning that
only at the far corners did you see the egg look.  It was small, maybe about
the same as the 35-70 F4 lens, possibly a little larger.  Focusing and zoom
were the usual silk, controls were easily used by my XL thumb like
appendages.

I also remember thinking that I would not use a lens of this type at the
faster apertures, preferring to switch to an M system when the light faded.
The discussion a couple of months back saying that the aperture wasn't fast
enough doesn't make sense in a combined M-R outfit.

Once the nay sayers quiet down this should be a good addition to the R line.
For a light kit say the 21-35 and the 80-200F4.  Throw in the 2X for
emergency reach and a SF20 flash for fill and you have a light load that
covers most contingencies.

Don's 4 cents worth
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] New 21-35 R zoom lens. ?)