Subject: Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:50:14 EST

Austin is right, with a caveat that follows.

In a message dated 3/26/02 9:13:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
darkroom@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Some  personal injury cases are entirely legitimate, but a large number of
the
>  ones I hear about (and know first hand) are just absurd, and would not go
>  anywhere unless some unscrupulous lawyer got involved.

..........it requires an unscrupulous plaintiff to get to the unscrupulous
lawyer. And a problem that follows is that too many judges allow frivolous
cases to go too far, costing defendants - most often insurance companies -
enough wasted money that they prefer to settle cases. I once represented a
corporation whose management and board of directors decided that it would not
settle frivilous claims. It would and did settle claims it considered
legitimate, and there were a few. But it decided it wanted to establish a
reputation for willingness to fight frivilous claims to the bitter end, no
matter what the cost in legal expense. It want plaintiffs and plaintiffs
counsel to know
that if they started a frivilous lawsuit they ha better be prepared to go all
the way and, in the end, lose the suit. After a while, frivilous lawsuits
against the company dried up. I've been strongly in favor of tort reform for
25 years.

Seth, lawyer

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers)
Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: Uh.... earth to wannabe lawyers)