Subject: [Leica] Couple R8 questions
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:02:35 +0000

1) Which lenses are consider to be the best or must have in R line? From LUG
I know we can include 100/2.8 APO macro on it. Any other? I think, the best
will be a lens which has relatively new design and does not improve much
when stopped down.
2) Which screen will be the best for focusing long lenses like 100, 180mm..?
R8 comes with universal screen. Can ground glass screen be better for tele
or macro work?
3) Generally, what ground glass is use for?
4) In last Viewfider one reader comments was: R8 is difficult to focus with
wide angle lenses because of high magnification finder? Is that true? And
because tele lenses were not mentioned there, focusing them will be no
problem!? (3rd page, right column)
5) Does the 2x APO  extender preserves quality of APO f2 or f2.8 R lenses?
Is it any drawback by using 2x extender on APO lenses, beside reduction of
light transferred to the film?
6) Is it a way to fire not dedicated flash and measure the flash properly
before taking a picture? I am thinking about F function on R8 body.

Recently, I had long meeting with fellow LUGer, John, and more and more
question arise. Like focusing SL2 with 400/6.8 on ground glass looks v.easy.
  I am planning to use R8 with 180/2.8 APO initially. I will get R8 with the
lens, it is on its way.
I am glad to meet another Leica user. It looks like Leica users have Spanish
people type of approach and help to others. I was once 3 years in Valencia
and Alcala (close to Madrid), and I found a job by just talking with people
in the bar! Always it was the same friendly behavior, sometimes up to your
whole life setup. It was fun to make few shoots for them. They have a lot of
Fiesta.
It is great, the same spirit continues in other group of people too.

Thank you,
Victor