Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 10:15:32 -0700 (PDT)

And I completely disagree....  I am NOT a Photoshop
expert.  In fact I had never scanned a photo before
two weeks ago, and only have Photoshop Elements which
I have very limited expertise with.

That said, I don't limit my view of photography by
expecting that what I see in a photo is exactly what
was there. There are many great photographs that were
enhanced by use of filters and traditional darkroom
techniques. I don't see Photoshop or it's competitors
as different than that, they've just gone another
step. In fact photographers like Jerry Uelsmann have
done very altered realities for many years without
using a computer to do so (check out www.uelsmann.net
for examples).  I still see this kind of work as
photography.

As far as this list is concerned, I expect that
anything created with a Leica is of interest to the
group.  Am I wrong in that?  Surely if we embrace
Leica "clones" (I use the term broadly with no offence
intended to owners of Konica and Voigtlander cameras)
then we should also embrace any worthy work created by
a Leica camera.

Photoshop appears to let you change it in more radical
terms than a wet darkroom traditionally has done, but
I see that as progress.  You seem to see it as a
threat. I say judge the image.  For me (I won't
presume to speak for the group), how it got there is
of interest in learning something new technically. I
don't think it is not a photograph just because I
can't count on it representing what I can see with my
eyes.

As far as I am concerned all aspects of producing the
final image are important. If someone is so good at
Photoshop that they mask flaws in the original
photograph, how is that different that the fact that a
master printer in a tradtional darkroom is able to
print a better image from a negative than I am? I
believe that the whole process is important, not just
clicking the shutter button.

To go back to Sonny's image.  If he made a more
interesting background for this photo, why does that
make it less of a photo.  He simply improved the image
(from his point of view) to make it closer to what he
wanted us to see. It doesn't bother me that he did so,
I don't think of it as less of a photograph.

If we limit our discussions on what we can do with a
photograph, then we limit our ability to fully
understand the craft. By simply putting it out there,
Sonny has done us a service by generating dialog and
getting some of us to think about this subject...and I
think that is a good thing.