Subject: RE: [Leica] film shavings inside my M6TTL
From: "Leonard J. Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 11:21:42 -0700

Regarding the film debris problem which Frank describes, I experienced
this problem several years ago with a Leitz-era M6 which eventually
found its way to Camera Service Center in Culver City for CLA. Rudy, the
tech there, advised me to occasionally use a Falcon "Dust Off Plus"
compressed air canister/nozzle to GENTLY blow out the accumulated
detritus from my camera bodies.

I have done as he advised fairly regularly (every month or two) since
then and have had no recurrences of the problem, but occasionally film
debris comes out of the camera during the process, so there must be
something about the complexity of loading the film transport, the
advance/rewind mechanics themselves or the quality of various emulsion
substrates that causes this to occur.

For what it's worth, I have experienced this film detritus problem with
M system cameras and Nikon F100, but not with R series or Contax G
series. Go figure...

Len
Leonard J. Kapner
Tel: (310) 377-5060