Subject: Re: [Leica] m6 bags -- Hadley?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:51:38 -0700

TheGadsby@aol.com wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Interested in the discussions on bags as I am trying to sort out a suitable
> bag for my rangefinder gear.
>
> I have looked at the Billingham Hadley Pro and Hadley which will take 2
> bodies / lens attached and 2 further lenses in the centre partition. The
> various compartments in the back and flap will take some of the other gear
> needed.
>
> Camera Care Systems do a similar bag in thier new Wessex range and which is a
> good bit cheaper.
>
> I have tried to buy a Domke F803 but these are on back order of 8 + weeks and
> I am unable to view before I buy !!!
>
> Any views on the Domke would be appreciated ! I will probably get the larger
> of the CCS Wessex bags, as they are only 59 pounds about half the cost of a
> Billingham.
>
> I will probably get a Domke also as I have a vintage M3 M4 outfit which need
> a modern bag for convenient usage.
>
> Look forward to receiving further advice and comment.
>
> John
> --
Though both are canvas the point behind the styling and appointments of
the Domke bags are the opposite of the Billingham.
The Billingham is designed to look classy and expensive. It looks
exactly like a camera bag.
You'd assume what's in it would be gold plated cameras. Rolls of Provira 400.
The Domke bag is designed to look maybe like a camera bag but maybe like
anything. It's designed to not look expensive and even a little bit shabby.
What's in them would be beat up brassy cameras if cameras at all.
They don't draw attention. But it is common knowledge that it's the
vastly preferred bag for pros.

The F-803 bag does not look so much like a camera bag, a big plus in
many of our minds, it is deep and looks instead like a Laptop bag. Not
Good. As the rip-offs nowadays are not looking for cameras anymore but
Laptops.  And deep bags are not ideal for Leica M systems because the
Leica M gear is short. Stacking the lenes back to back makes it work out
better but I like to drop the lens in a slot.
I've got a F-803  and use it anyway and I like the way i can keep a
stack of 8x10's in the back outside pocket.
This stack of prints takes pictures better than any lens.
I have a bunch of Lowe-Pro's which I'm not selling, but I've switched to Domke.

I have two F-5XB's which are very small bags i use most of the time.
I've found i can use both at the same time and that works out pretty
well when need be.

My F-6 bag is not canvas but black "ballistic" material. I use it a real
lot.
When ever i use it i say I'm going on a black bag job and i get all
excited. I should get a black knit hat to wear with it and a pair of
black glasses with a nose and mustache attached.
I throw everything in that bag my dirty laundry, credit cards...
For those Black Op missions.

I need an IR filter for my Noctilux!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA