Subject: Re: [Leica] Why Elpro for the 100mm f 2.8 APO macro ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:56:24 -0800

Henry Ting wrote:

> Can someone give me a lecture on the ELPRO dedicated
> to the 100mm f2.8 APO macro ?
>
> I would imagine getting to a 1:1 ratio, a regular
> extender will give me better performance compared with
> the ELPRO with the additional optics. What do I gain
> with the ELPRO ?
>
><Snip>

An extender would normally give better image quality that a front of the
lens magnifier (I forgot the tech name but i do know you're NOT supposed
to call them a "filter"!).
But Leica took this route, Henry and I can only think its because they
felt like they had a line on a simple glass formula which would give
superb results comparable with extensions but with no loss of light.
Nikon makes one of these multi element front of lens magnifiers for
their tele lenses as well at 5 price points I'm sure lower. But it has a
very good reputation in a different league from the single element ones.
I can only think the Elpro a pristine piece of glass placing even my
Zeiss Proxars in it's shadow. That's what I'd think!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com