Subject: Re: [Leica] Banning digicampix
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:59:54 -0500

Kyle Cassidy wrote:
>>B.D.
>>
>>I would be very surprised if Newsweek or any other print magazine is less
>
> than 300 dpi. >It is a simple fact of life that printing at less than 300
> dpi is, lo-rez.
>
>>And, my biggest monthly problem is many of the pictures sent to me every
>
> month for
>
>>publication are 72 dpi, sent by people who should know better. So after
>
> being yelled at >by my printer hundreds of time, I have banned all digi cam
> pictures.
>
>>sl
>

> I currently have a photo in [magazine which shall not be named] which had
> told me "absolutely no digital photos will be accepted" so I mailed them a
> 5x7 print (from a digicam photo) which they scanned on a flatbed and happily
> included. I suspect there's a lot of this going on right now.
>
> Kc
>
> P.s. I'm sure sal can speak to the resolution requirements of newsweek.

Newsweek will use digital inside the magazine with no problem. For the
cover, they prefer film so that the editors have lots of cropping
options available. If the cover is a news picture (which it rarely is),
they will of course use whatever is available. (9/11 would be an example
of this.) I have no idea what the absolute resolution parameters are,
but I do know that this is the magazine's general policy.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014