Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica ?, M5, M6TTL, or M7
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:44:23 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > It makes it more convenient to use flash, as the camera will cut off the
> > flash when the film has received enough exposure. You do not need to set
> > anything on the flash. This, of course, provided that you use a
> > dedicated flash like the Leica SF 20.
>
> Right, Nathan, but does it really give any advantage over regular automatic
> flash, if you don't use any filters?  It certainly has better scene
> detection, as it's actually seeing what it is you are shooting, and an
> automatic flash isn't as discriminating...but I'm not sure that really
> matters.  I've never really had any bad flash shots with regular automatic
> flashes, and I haven't noticed that the TTL flash gives me any better
> pictures.  Granted, I don't use flash that much.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin
>
> --

When i took my sensor off the front of my Vivitar 283 and put it on my
lens shade i got much less non-hits.

Before on a roll you'd see 8 shots whose exposure was not the money perhaps.

Then with the detached sensor I'd get 4! Or 3!

When i moved to TTL this went down to 2 or 1 or 0. I half expected to
see no misses on a contact sheet.

I almost never used filters for most of the TTL shots I'd do they were
events or wedding or fashion or portrait.

But i would aim the flash at the ceiling or behind me or over my
shoulder or anywhere in the room which would spontaneously feel like
THAT should be the light source.

Also you've got a lens shade on your lens the in the camera flash meter
is of course taking account of that plus just about every variable you
can think of. Lens shade, dirty lens, dirty uv filter, clean uv filter,
uncoated uv filter, super coated uv filter, lens with no lens shade,
lens with nice lens shade, lens with bad lens shade. UV filter no lens
shade. and on and on.

A separate sensor introduces plenty of variables which no one needs…

often in flash photography you are contending with the readings you are
getting because you are shooing into a mirror or something similar to
it. A TTL sensor is dealing with what the lens is dealing with. Not what
is happening somewhere else. It's a good feeling. You move the f stops
by mistake and the flash often will just deal with it when it's TTL.
Unless you've just dialed in f22 and aiming at something 25 feet away!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com