Subject: Re: [Leica] OT tripod choice for M6TTL
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:09:36 -0800

At 5:54 PM -0600 3/25/03, Frank Farmer wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>Does anyone have experience with the Gitzo 1126 or Gitzo 1226
>tripods?  What I want is a sturdy yet light tripod (I don't want to
>spend the cash for a carbon fiber tripod) to use with my M6TTL.  I
>want it to be small enough that it packs easily so that I won't be
>inclined to leave it behind when I need it.  Anyway, I use a tiltall
>right now and find it to be too much - though it will support my
>heavier equipment.  So, that being said, does anyone have experience
>with either of these two models?  Pros/cons of either?  All comments
>appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
>By the by, I realyze and accept the fact that the M6TTL is not a
>camera that is often attached to a tripod, but sometimes you just
>can't avoid it.  :-)
>
>Frank

In my opinion the 2 series are overkill for M cameras. I use 2 series
tripods with SLRs with shorter lenses, lightweight MF and also field
4x5's. The main problem with the 1126 is that it is fairly short.

My tripod for M cameras while travelling right now is the 1028, which
is both very light and somewhat higher than the 1126 before extending
the column - but it does cost more.

Weight:

1028 - 0.79kg
1126 - 1.36kg
1226 - 2.09kg

It makes a difference when you are thinking of carrying one around
all day, in case you _might_ need it!

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design