Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 light leak?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:38:14 -0400

David Young wrote:
> All:
>
> I am having a problem with my last few rolls of film...
>
> I am getting (reddish) light streaks on numerous (but by no means all)
> frames.  These streaks are always in the same position.
>
> I have posted two shots showing the problem at
> http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/problem.htm
>
> I would suspect light leaking through the felt trap when loading, but if
> this were so, would it not affect frames in some sequence, as the film
> is wrapped around the core?
>
> However, on one roll, exposed all in the same day, the problem shows on
> exposures 3,6,9,10 & 15.  Another roll, exposed over two days, shows the
> problem on exposures 3a,15a,18a & 23a.  All other exposures on both
> rolls are fine.
>
> If it were a light leak through the camera back, I would think the
> amount of fogging would be determined by how long the frame was in the
> film guides between exposures.  However, it appears that this is not the
> case.  It can appear on frames shot very close together and not on ones
> where the film has sat in the gate for a day or more, between exposures.
>
> The light streaks always have one fuzzy edge and one razor sharp edge.
> I'd suspect the shutter, but it runs vertically, while the bands appear
> to run horizontally.
>
> My lab says it is not a problem with their processing.
>
> Can anyone here give me an idea as to what may be causing this? The
> camera is under warranty.
>
> Many thanks, for any and all ideas.

Obviously, you should get the camera back to Leica since it is under
warranty. I'm sure that including the sample frames will give them a clue.

Personally, I think it is a shutter problem of some kind that is
occurring only intermittently. I have also seen this kind of fogging
from the xray machines being used to scan checked baggage, but the
pattern is usually wavy instead of straight. Please don't ask me how I
know this :-(.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014