Subject: [Leica] Camera purchasing ethics - was Leica Bargain BAH!
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:30:44 -0400

"Knowing that pretty much most of the active LUG
doesn't appreciate or agree with my point, I leave it as that."

Kim, and list,

I don't deserve any pedestal, but I couldn't agree with you more regarding
the original subject (no reflection on Sonny's point). Must admit, my first
thought was, "the lucky devil!" But, he should have given them much more.
How much? Maybe not market value, as he couldn't know what the mechanical
condition was, but $5 is ridiculous. If the guy (don't remember who the LUG
member is - haven't followed the thread) sells the thing for hundreds and
doesn't share the wealth ... to me, that's not right.

Now, can I resist running off to Volunteers of America, and see what
they're giving away? Should I?

If he had shocked them with a check for $50, $300 or $500, would they start
thinking every old piece of junk is worth real money? Is our old junk worth
that kind of money? (Cue Pandora's box.) Or, might they get the notion that
consulting an expert would be a good idea?

Twenty years ago, I bought a very good-looking F2 Photomic with a 55/3.5
from a kid for $66. He brought it to the camera store where I was a clerk
and was anxious to unload it, no consignment. We looked the stuff up on the
list of stolen serial numbers and didn't find any matches. I asked the
manager, "what do you think?" He said, "the store doesn't want it, but you
could take him outside and make an offer." The kid was thrilled - so was I,
because I was a kid with almost no money ($66 to be exact) myself.

Two years later, the camera jammed up in the middle of a job - rusted out
innards. I still use the finder and the lens. Wonder what became of the
kid? He helped facilitate my photography career. Did I facilitate a career
of crime? If it was stolen, did the original owner make more from insurance
than the doomed camera was worth?

Best wishes,

Carl