Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:30:25 -0400

I had a meeting the other day with the production manager of a Canadian
nature magazine. I was there to try to get his printing business, but I
asked him about his impression of digital vs film submissions for his
magazine. Currently, he's getting about 50% of images submitted digitally.
However, he finds his production staff spend more time on digital images
than those that come in as transparencies. The reason? All the scans for
film based images are sent to his pre-press studio for scanning. The colour
corrention is done there to the magazine's specs, and his production staff
don't have to worry about it as much.. Those images that come in via digital
have to be colour corrected, or at least examined to ensure consistency. Of
course, unless they are dealing with skin tones, the latitude is quite wide
for colour. But the control from transparencies seemed to be higher in this
instance.

another 0.02 (0.027 Cdn) to the debate.

jm