Subject: [Leica] Re: Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question
From: Mitch Alland <malland@xsmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:44:24 +0700

For: Ted Grant

> If you find your throw outs are too high, sell the lens and buy
> something
> easier to handle.

This assumes that the prime purpose of this lens is to shoot at f/1.4.
But it seems to me that at f2.0-2.8 the DOF is sufficiently greater
that focussing is no longer a problem and the rendition of O-O-F is
still so creamy -- dare I say the bokeh is so good? -- that it would be
a shame to sell this lens. And don't forget that this lens is also so
good at small apertures.

Perhaps even shooting at f/1.7 (I mean halfway between 1.4 and 2.0)
would increase DOF sufficiently to make focussing not a problem,
although I haven't tried this yet. If someone knows he or she can tell
us.

- --Mitch/Bangkok

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question)