Subject: Re: [Leica] OT (of course) Crisco
From: "David M. Dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:43:47 -0500

My doctor will have me in irons for this, but with the health
disclaimer and warnings to all, I will pass along one receipt where
Crisco is the only thing that will work.  I think the properties of
Crisco's melting action may be the key.

"NANNY's" Southern Fried Chicken

Ingredients:

1 - large cast iron frying pan (well seasoned)
1 - frying chicken cut up ( make sure the wishbone ("pulley bone" is
properly separated for the latter good luck pull)
1 - brown paper bag containing Flour seasoned with salt and pepper for
coating the chicken parts

Instructions:

Coat the chicken a two or 3 pieces at a time in the bag and place in
the cold skillet.
Add COLD Crisco to the skillet with dabs placed around the chicken.
You need enough Crisco to come to about 1/2 t level on the chicken
parts.
Turn on heat to medium-high to high
As the Crisco begins to melt rotate the parts to coat evenly.
Fry as normal turning one or twice until golden brown.

Drain on paper and serve!

The cold coating of the floured parts seems to keep the meat from being
saturated with oil.  If you you have too much chicken for one skillet
use a second one.  Adding more to the hot oil defeats the purpose of
the receipt.

David