Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Was Speaking of Photography -- Sally Mann on Charlie Rose
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:09:10 -0500

Mark:

Thanks for the compliment.  I haven't used the 8x10 in about a year.
Most of the time when I go out shooting, I bring the 11x14, a Rollei
6008i and a Leica R8.

I scan the 11x14, (and the 8x10) transparencies on an Epson Expression
836XL 14x17 inch flathead with a transparency head. The scanner has a 36
bit color depth.

I scan them at 800 spi, (which is plenty for this size of transparency)
directly into Photoshop with no manipulations in the plug-in.  Then I
color balance them and then print them as 11x14 prints on an Epson 2200.
  I've found that by not manipulating them with the plug-in, that I get
a lot more "meat" to work with in Photoshop... no "choppy" histograms to
confront before I've even begun color correcting.

The prints look great, but they don't compare to viewing the chromes on
a light table.

I bought the scanner on ebay about a year ago for around $800.  Epson
now has a 1600 spi version for around $3,000 which has 42 bit color
depth.  If I ever get a larger printer, then I might need the newer
scanner... but I wouldn't know until I try as I'm more empirical in my
thinking than I am logical.

I scan my 4x5 chromes on a Leafscan.

- --

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com