Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: tv/tivo
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:54:44 -0800

Marc,

A Tivo sort of looks like a VCR. But instead of tape, it uses a hard
drive. And a service you subscribe to that lists all of the programs
coming up for the next month on your cable/satellite service. You can
set it up to automatically record a whole season of a show. You can
have it search for shows/movies that have your favorite actors, or
search for specific movies, etc.

Then you watch the shows whenever you want, rather than when they're
on. And you can watch live TV, and it writes it to the hard drive as
you watch, so you can back up and see something again, or pause it
while you go to the bathroom. Then you can catch up by fast forwarding
the commercials.

You can also download shows off the hard drive onto your VCR if you
have it hooked up. And with Macs and PCs you can use a software program
that costs $99 to show your still photos, movies and listen to your
music from your computer on your TV/Sound system.

Many people say it completely changes the way they watch TV. Check it
out:

http://www.tivo.com

I would never be without one now. They're still a bit spendy -
especially if you get the lifetime subscription with the Tivo. But it's
worth it if you want any TV at all.

BTW, many cable companies and satellite companies like DirectTV put
Tivo parts in their cable/satellite boxes. And some digital devices
such as DVD burning hardware have it included now too.

On Nov 15, 2003, at 5:49 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

> hanks, Eric -- but what IS a TIVO?  I gather that it is some sort of
> computer device you add to your television, but I know nothing beyond
> that.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

AAAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse Anonymous

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: tv/tivo)
Message from leo <lwwesson@pier1.com> ([Leica] Re: tv/tivo)
Message from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: tv/tivo)
Message from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: tv/tivo)