Subject: Re: [Leica] Alaska - the absence of light
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:45:10 -0800

on 11/24/03 7:33 PM, Kit McChesney at kitmc@acmefoto.com wrote:

> My primary desire in moving to Alaska, besides the interesting light, of
> course, is the wide open spaces with very few people in them! It appeals to
> my desire to be a hermit! ;-)

As long as you don't mind some of the practical aspects of this lifestyle...
such as collecting your food on the hoof, defending your food & shelter
against North America's most dangerous non-human predators, thawing your
water every winter morning, sponge baths... need I go on?

The wide open spaces are something I had to become accustomed to after
growing up in California but now I find most of the Lower 48 woefully
lacking in it - even in Nevada's deserts you go for a walk and can hardly go
20 miles without encountering tire tracks!  In interior Alaska it's possible
to walk hundreds of miles without seeing any trace of people.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com