Subject: [Leica] Conflict of Interest
From: eric@jphotog.com
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:01:45 -0600 (CST)

> "Conflict of interest"
> I think this is one of those things that is way over used and cared

Being a journalist, I am automatically suspiscious of people who hide
their affiliation with anorganization.

As for Erwin, I think he has established a reputation for his testing
methodology. The manknows lens performance. And I have no idea what is official relationship
is with Leica. If hegets equipment free to test, that's one thing. If they pay a substantial
part of his yearlyincome, that's another. I'm not aware of any financial relatinship they
may have. But thatwould call into quesiton his credibility if I didn't already know him to
be honest to a fault inhis reviews. (In the sense that he truly believes what his tests tell him.
There is no deceptiongoing on).

I do know that he gets information ahead of the rest of us. Which only
makes senseconsidering what he does for Leica in terms of benefitting them with test
results that usuallymake them look good. That's becuase their lenses are good. Not becuase
Erwin isobsequious. He is not.

But anyone who doesn't see conflict of interest as a problem in the
context of any reportageis naive.

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Conflict of Interest)