Subject: Re: [Leica] Go to the front of the line
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:46:42 +0100 (MET)

Yes, so true so true.

Here in Sweden I see politicians (mostly local ones) doing things that
anyone with the slightest sense of history would realize was a mistake.
The US, as in so many other things, was a forerunner when it comes to
tackling racial issues. It was simply forced to ... the issues were there.

Europe was, at the time, fairly homogenic. Pasta was exotic in Sweden at
that time, putting a cucumber or tomato on your sandwich was simply
unheard of ... not done.

Now Europe is acquiring a multicultural mix and is going to face, probably
50-60 years later, the same problems the US was faced with in the sixties.

So what do Swedish (local/county) politicians do? The refugees come. They
come from anywhere in the world that has been hit by conflict, Africa, the
Balkans, the Middle East, Vietnam, you name it. The politicians build a
bunch of housing in the sixties a day-late-and-a-dollar-short. Slam-bam,
throw 'em up.

No noone who can afford it wants to live there. In fact, before the
refugees came, they were starting to tear them down. But some smart guy
said: "Hey, we can accept all kinds of refugees, get money from the
national budget and stick these people out in the housing areas no one
wants to live in. We can actually make money off of that crap instead of
tearing them down."

So now these areas are 100% refugee populated (ok, maybe 98%). Talk about
"planned-ghetto-making".

So what do they do? They start to bus the kids around, close local schools
and send the kids across town. Go to a PTA meeting concerned with the
local school being closed down and say "We're ashamed of this" ... can you
imagine? Addressing the parents of the children and telling them that you
are ashamed of them?

Ticking bomb, tick, tick.

Daniel Ridings
Lindome Sweden, Oslo Norway