Subject: RE: [Leica] Now just inspired - Now Beamer
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:21:41 -0800

On 2003-12-25 <phong@doan-ltd.com (Phong)> thoughtfully wrote:

>To be precise, a Beamer or Beemer is a BMW motorcycle.
>A Bimmer is a BMW car.

This must be a Least Coast thing. Beemer or Beamer has always referred to the car in this part of the Left Coast.

I love how usage changes. I notice that the term "standing on line" is now taking over amongst the intelligencia in the US while those of us from the great unwashed still "stand in line." I'm glad "on queue" hasn't taken over yet. And I hear more people "going to university" than I ever have before.

I'm blaming this all on PBS. <grin>

I heard a news report that talked about dialects and local usage this summer that asserted that there is a GREATER amount of diversity in spoken American English than there has ever been, which strikes me as odd since we have the great homogenizer of the mass media. But I'm glad for it. It's like, here in the Sacramento Valley, the additions of Hispanic, Russian, Mung, and other influences which add so much diversity.

Merry Christmas

Adam