Subject: [Leica] some more kiev shots and thoughts
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:33:59 -0500

Just a couple of kiev shots and a thought, I tried some color in the Kiev 4am and a Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8.

http://photoneal.com/photos/misc/tn/sundial1.jpg.html

http://photoneal.com/photos/misc/tn/vg1.jpg.html

The first is in my now dormant garden, late afternoon skylight
The second is my son playing with his new vidio game Christmas morning.

i have always looked for a good knock-around 35mm, I've had this Kiev 4am for several years now, picked it up in a little shop in Ahman Jordan, but never considered it more than a curiosity. Then I got
into the Kiev medium format and was duly impressed so I thought I'd give the 35mm kiev a try. Again I have been duly impressed. For the price I can't think of a better 35mm camera, with the
normal lens it was about $50 US. The brand new 35mm Jupiter lens was about $50 as well. I have ordered a Jupiter 85mm f2 for another $50, that means for $150 I have a three lens 35mm rangefinder
system that will turn out images as good as my LTM's and almost as good as my M's. Will the Leica M turn out a better image, yes certainly at maximum aperture it will. Is that image 500 times better than
the one the Kiev will turn out, I don't think so and that's the approximate difference in price. Conclusion, if you're looking for a good Knock-around 35mm that's fun to shoot you might consider getting
one of these Kievs, it's the most bang for the buck I've gotten, in a camera at least ! ;-)

Neal F