Subject: RE: [Leica] Digilux 2 vs Panasonic LC
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:19:36 -0500

As someone who does not make a habit of bashing Leica, it pains me to
say this but the new Digilux is nothing short of absurd.  What is the
marketing and product strategy behind a brick size $1800 P&S?  With this
kind of thinking Leica will only contribute to its demise, a la Nero
fiddling while Rome burns.  As sales of film cameras continue to drop
vs. digital, with a digital product like this, one wonders if the future
for Leica will ever be more than an esoteric boutique line catering to
the rich and jaded (and fiddling).  At $1800 MAP, the Digilux is more a
piece of jewelry than a camera.   If this weren't so unfortunate it
would be laughable.

Yea, yea, I know, what was Nero supposed to do, put out a flaming city
with a violin?

Gary