Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux 2 vs Panasonic LC
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:12:56 +0000

I am an amateur photographer whose enjoyment includes the appreciation
of the ergonomics of and quality of manufacture of my tools. I will
also probably not buy a Digilux 2 at the price it is being offered but
I do appreciate the design (I don't mean styling). I have become used
to focusing with a ring round the lens, I much prefer dials to buttons,
etc.. It may well be that the photographic results can be duplicated
for less - this has been said for years about all Leicas, most on this
list do not agree. I used an M6 for years as my main camera - it went
everywhere with me. I now use a digital SLR more but I do not enjoy the
use of the tool as much. I find the controls counter intuitive though I
can get used to them if I use it often enough.
It is a shame the viewfinder has to be electronic but it is pretty
obvious that a quality optical viewfinder of the same magnification
range would be huge and much more expensive.
I do not think the camera is laughable - it looks to have got rid of
most of the details I hate about the microchip generation cameras. It
does look too expensive for me, and particularly irritating that it is
so much cheaper in the US than the UK!
cheers
Frank