Subject: [Leica] Re: Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:04:59 -0600

John:

>I agree that wind chill factors can be very misleading. Wind chill
>factors only refer to the rate at which heat is lost not to the actual
>temperature achieved. An actual temperature of -40C is much more
>daunting to operate in (clothing gets very stiff and many materials
>become brittle) than an ambient temperature of -25C with a wind chill
>factor supposedly making it the equivalent of -40C.

Ditto.  My barometer for cold is right around -5 F / -20 C.  When I take a
breath and my nose hairs freeze, then it's cold.  :)

As long as you don't have much skin exposed, walking around at -20 C isn't a
problem.  Being outside at -40 is a different experience.  I'm far enough
south that we rarely get that cold.  Quite common to be -25 C, but it
doesn't usually get much colder than that.

Love my M6 for cold weather photography.  Don't have to worry about the
batteries.  It's easy to operate with gloves on...except when changing film,
and I can do that with glove liners still on.  :)

Eric

Message from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches)