Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V26 #146
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:00:40 -0800 (PST)

Seth: I've used T400cn a fair amount. As you say, it has great latitude
and scans well.  It is also very fine-"grained" and has beautiful, smooth
tonality.  It can be processed by any lab that does C-41 color negs. Since
it is a dye-cloud film, infrared-based dust reduction software like ICE or
FARE works well.

As you also have heard, T400cn is lower contrast than, say, Tri-X.  That
goes with the latitude.  But, that can easily be remedied if you do a
little work with curves.  So you have a film that can capture an unusually
wide brightness range, and what you do with that brightnesss range is up
to you.  It helps to scan in 16-bit mode, as that gives you more numbers
to stretch in the curves without posterization.

The pictures you get from T400cn in good light have beautiful gradation
and smoothness, almost like medium format.

Now the bad news.  T400cn can tolerate much overexposure, but little
underexposure--just like fast color neg film.  The more you expose, the
less apparent grain.  Shadows can get muddy and grainy in available light
situations.  T400cn can get scratched if you even *look* at it sideways.
Many labs that can process the negatives don't understand how to print B&W
on color paper, so you get sepia, greenish or magenta-tinged prints.
Like all color negs, T400cn is not archival. Depending on the processing,
it might fade in a few years, or not.

On the advice of a lab owner I know, I have been shooting T400cn (and
Supra 400) at ISO 200 when there is plenty of light, and I crank it up to
400 when I need the extra stop's speed.  This works well.

Here are a few T400cn pictures from my ramblings.

Outdoors at ISO 200, with orange filter. The blurring of the nearby trees
is due to a 35 mph wind.  But look at the tonality, and how sharp and
beautifully textured the rocks are:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/california2003/JoshTree35.htm

In dull available light, ISO 400:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/13henning.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/14tuulikki.htm

You can see the shadow muddiness in the dark clothing on this one:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/36rabiner.htm

And in Noctilux territory, but with a 50/1.5 wide open at 1/8 sec. I used
Neat Image on this one, and placed the black point up a bit so the
grainiest stuff would go completely black:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/30ted.htm

Finally, here are two shots taken at the same concert, under the same
contrasty, glaring toplight. One with T400cn and the other with Tri-X in
Xtol 1:3.  You can do a side-by-side.

T400cn:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicians/1-25AmosLoriErichWeb.jpg

Tri-X: