Subject: [Leica] M 135 Opinions/Comments/Anecdotes/Cautions
From: isakuhiga at hotmail.com (Isaku Higa)
Date: Mon Mar 29 14:07:58 2004

Hi Greg,

I have 135 2.8 and the late production 135/F4 (E46).

If you intend to carry/use 135 for travel such as to use it shoot landscape
etc.,  any version of  Tele-elmar 135/F4 would be a good choice. They are
very sharp and much easier to carry than 2.8s.  I've used the older version
of TE 135 (with E39 filter thread) in the past and they are as sharp as the
E46 version (but with slightly lower color saturation) and are even better
bargain (sometimes you can find one with mint glass for less than $300.)

I use 135 2.8 for indoor shoots such as taking pictures at my children's
school play etc. They are bulky to carry and even with the eyes, can be
difficult to focus.  They are priced quite reasonably (the major reason I
bought this lens.)  The only thing is that "eyes" of 135 2.8 are known to be
quite delicate and can be easily mis-aligned or twisted.  Those problems are
virtually impossible for non-Leica technician to detect such problem when
you buy.

I agree with Buzz and BD that using 135 on M cameras to get intended results
is very difficult.  You would eventually find that 135  won't get much usage
compare to your other M lenses.  I think that is the reason for the
relatively lower price of those lenses.  I heard 135 APO is quite stunning
but given the limted usage I have for 135 lenses for M camera, I can find
better ways to use the money.

I've read about some professional photographers who shoots plays and music
performances in theaters using 135 with M cameras because of the camera's
quietness.  But in general, I think
135 M are for occasional use when you forsee a need for a longer lens but
want to stick to using/carrying M cameras not SLRs. For die hard M users ;-)
!

Isaku