Subject: [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 19 15:11:39 2004

Gene asked:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!

> Ted
>
> I don't know if your commentary was because of my statement about the
> photog with his lens pointed at the roof, or not.<<<,,

Hi Gene,
No not at all as standing there and not shooting goes with the territory
sometimes and the assignment. Many photographers cover only their own
countries athletes, so watching the action sometimes is all they do. I never
did this as every time it's a new athlete it allows you to hone your timing
and re-actions to the action, so you shoot it.

Then you have the wire and agency shooters who never stop shooting during
every medal event no matter who the athlete is or comes from as their work
is sent around the world by satellite, AP, Reuters, AFP, CP and or stock
photo agencies that seem to be taking over many of these kinds of events.

I would doubt he'd be out of film, a possibility of course, but if he were
I'm sure he'd be out of there faster than you can spit. Trust me you don't
really stand around watching for the sake of watching, certainly after the
first couple of days as you just want to get this shoot segment over and go
get something to eat or drink. Sometimes a quick nap... now you can really
trust me on this one.............. "a major rarity!;-)"

>I cannot imagine you
> in that situation with your camera just sitting idly by given the
> circumstances, I'm sure you would have more than enough film with you for
> several days worth of shooting at all times. <<<<<

I'd say I went with 50-60 rolls tucked into my photo vest somewhere. Along
with at least 2 other SL Leica's motor driven and long lenses, a wide in the
pocket of the vest. Yep the vest was a tad heavy at times. :-)

>I'm also sure the job is not as glamorous as Hollywood depicts it, and it
is a hard and dirty job most
> of the time.<<<

Well you know Hollywood have to make everything worse than it is, or far
more beautiful than it is. :-)

In reality it comes down to simply it's a tough long hour standing usually
in cramped quarters with a bunch of guys who give no quarter for space.
Occasionally there'll be some verbal "communications" and other photogs
intervene and it cools down.

The pros who've done it many times might make a disparaging comment when
they feel the photo position is.... "unrepeatable comment" ;-) to previous
games where everything was so well organized it was a dream come true for
all of us. But that's it. Others whine and bitch continuously. It really
comes down to... "those who know how to do it... do it successfully!" no
matter how bad the conditions are. Those who shouldn't be there in the first
place just yap on and on until finally one of us will tell them to stick it
where the sun don't shine!!"

Quite frankly I'd say any photographer who's had the good fortune to cover
the Olympics and say's he or she wouldn't go back ...... is lying! ;-) Yes
it's hard work, I mean photographically and physically, mentally draining
because you're at 125% all the time as you can't go back and shoot it again.
Knowing you are being paid not to miss anything is a tough mantel to wear
for a few weeks, however it's one of the greatest photographic experiences
one can have and enjoy for a lifetime.

ted