Subject: [Leica] Literalism
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Wed Dec 15 12:39:23 2004

All photographs are ambiguous to a greater or lesser degree

In part, because unlike say painting or moving pictures, photographs lack a
complete language - what they have is more like a half or partial language.

Partly because photographs are always a quotation that is discontinuous - a
1/60 or 1/250th sec slice of time. We don't usually know what went on either
side of that fraction of a second. (sometimes we do if it is a particular
event in History - big H - or small h - personal history. e.g. we were part
of the rest of the family sat in the booth in "Madison" - then the
photograph becomes less ambiguous - but most of the time that continuity is
broken and so the meaning is open and ambiguous).

The best and most succesful(or perhaps exceptional) photographs are those in
which that ambiguity is actually clarified because the photogrpahic quote is
extended - not in time i.e. a longer exposure, but extended in meaning. That
discontinuity and ambiguity that makes other peoples family albums generally
meaningless to us is turned on it's head and in the expressive photograph -
one in which there is that extension of meaning - the discontinuity instead
of provoking a lack of interest (why should I be interested this photograph
of these two grinning children on a beach who I don't know?) instead
provokes expectations of further meaning, we begin to look for further
revelation and the picture moves us in some way - it's meaning has been
extended - and I am interested in (what appear to be) a father and daughter
in a restaurant booth - who I know absolutely nothing about.

It is in large part the inherent initial ambiguity of photography that
allows for that to take place. "Madison's" literal or real meaning is
unknown to us (which is nearly always the case when the photograph stands
alone -words are required to give us that particular meaning - but the
addition of a caption or even a title actually reduces the expressive power
of such a photograph). However, the photographs natural inherent ambiguity
actually allows us to make connections, instigates ideas and feelings,
memories and echoes, and its ambiguity enlightens rather than confuses us.

tim a