Subject: [Leica] Re: WW II Leicas
From: ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner)
Date: Mon May 30 16:26:35 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Christopher Williams wrote:

> Think it depended on where you were and how well you could hide stuff.
> know some guys developed film in their helmets at night.

Sounds like Joe and Willie in the Mauldin cartoon: "Drop those cans in
the coffee easy--we got a chicken stewing in the bottom." All this in a
helmet . . .

Since my dad was in a reconnaissance squadron, I think he was able to
get film developed throughout. After the end of the War, they moved
into a former German airbase, and he got permission to use the
darkrooms there to make prints. But, he'd enlisted very early--before
Pearl Harbor--so he got to go home early, too. Making prints, using his
recommendation from the colonel to go to Officer Candidate
School--forget it. He went home.

Eric Ladner
Memorial Day

Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: WW II Leicas)