Subject: [Leica] Which Visoflex for my M7?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Jun 3 20:49:30 2005

On 6/3/05 6:05 PM, "John O. Newell" <john.o.newell@comcast.net> typed:

> Mark, you either have great patience or you are photographing things that
> don't move. ;-)   I used to own and use a pile of Viso gear, but sold it
> all
> years ago.  It was simply too slow to use, in my opinion.
>
> For any subject that was moving, it was pretty frustrating -- my
> recollection
> is that the time from the decision to press the shutter release to the
> actual
> exposure was pretty lengthy, and TTL metering with the M5 (and later M6)
> didn't work at all under those conditions.  Metering pretty much required
> using a tripod and a static subject.
>
> Even for static subjects on a tripod (like close-ups), it was very slow.
> With
> an M5 or M6 (or now M7) you had to compose and focus using the Viso with
> the
> mirror down, then shift to the camera's finder to use the meter with the
> mirror up...and this was a big improvement over using it with an M3 or
> other
> meter-less body, where you had to calculate exposure adjustments based on
> magnification ratios...using it was like a form of penance.
>
> I admire your dedication, and I agree with you that the whole thing is
> (still)
> fascinating as a demonstration of the ingenuity of the Leitz engineers, but
> the system was already outdated in the 1960s and has not become less so in
> the
> succeeding decades -- at least that's my opinion -- you are definitely
> entitled to your own.  From time to time I look at Viso prices, though, and
> one thing is certain -- a lot of that gear now goes for pennies on the
> dollar,
> except where collector-mania has taken over for rare or highly sought-after
> lenses.  If it works for you, though, enjoy!!!
>
> Best,
> John Newell

Look at your portfolio, John, and figure out which shots in it could not
have been done with the Viso. That's always my kind of question on stuff
like this.
A dirt bike shooter I'm not, neither am I a street shooter.
Not much of a macro shooter but planning on changing that.
A quick glance at my website portfolio and I can't find one shot that
required more speed than what I can get with my Viso in my experience with
it.
http://rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html
I don't take a meter reading every time a click the shutter by the way.
And I don't even refocus every time I click the shutter either.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/