Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin Puts on the DM-R
From: melnyk at msu.edu (Steven A. Melnyk)
Date: Sun Aug 28 08:42:06 2005

I have just had a chance to review Erwin's comments on the DM-R and
frankly I am not too surprised. The long-term forecast for products
such as the DM--R is not good.  Why?  What we have in the DM-R is an
example of a hybrid technology.  These products and the technology
that they are based typically represent a stop-gap measure.  Examples
include the QBOF (the transition between the open hearth steel
furnace and the Basic Oxygen Furnace), the bias-ply radial, and the
steamship with sails.  In each case, the product thrived for a short
period of time but ultimately they fail.  They are replaced by
superior products and superior technology.

In spite of how much we enjoy Leicas, their lenses and their
products, the reality is that for most photographers, the future is
digital,  With new advances coming out as quickly as they have been,
increasingly the quality gap between film and digital is rapidly
closing.  I have a number of Leicas (M5, M6 TTL, M7, R9).  Yet, I no
longer use them as often. Whenever I go out, I find myself reaching
for my Canon 20D or my Nikon D2H.

Frankly, I am not too optimistic about the DM-R.  It is simply far
too little, too late, and too expense. My two cents worth.

Steven A. Melnyk
Department of Marketing & Supply Chain Management
Michigan State University
melnyk@msu.edu

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Erwin Puts on the DM-R)