Subject: [Leica] Cataloging negatives
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Sep 17 13:02:05 2005

>Steve,
>
>I don't know as I have the Mac version. But I'll take a look and see
>if I can find something that looks like what you suggest.
>
>Michael
>
>Against stupidity the Gods themselves struggle in vain. /Schiller/
>
>On Sep 16, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Steve Unsworth wrote:
>
>>In the Windows version you can right click on your 'catalogued' folder
>>and select 'update' The program will then add any images not already
>>catalogued to the iView catalogue.
>>
>>Does this answer your question?
>>
>>Steve

Hi Michael,

I think I'm getting what your concern is.

Say your main image folder is 'Level A'.

In it you have folders 'Level B1', 'Level B2' etc.

In the folders 'Level B1' etc. you have all your images, or maybe
there are some subfolders with images, or a combination.

These are all catalogued and the thumbnails are in iView, and iView
knows where they are. You do this by dragging the folder 'Level A'
onto a new window in iView, after you have specified the thumbnail
size. iView knows all about nested folders, and will root out all
multimedia file types (there are a lot) that you specify to be
catalogued.

You now add a folder 'Level B14' to the folder 'Level A', and drop a
bunch more files into the 'Level B2' folder. How do you catalogue
these?

If you just want to catalogue them, and don't care that the new files
all come at the end, just drag the folder 'Level A' once again onto
the iView catalogue window at the end of the rest of your files, and
everything will be catalogued to your specifications. If you want the
files in folder 'Level B2' to come at the end of the other 'Level B2'
files, find the last 'Level B2' file from before in you iView
catalog, and drag the new, fuller 'Level B2' folder onto the catalog
and let go between the thumbnail of the last, previous 'Level B2'
thumbnail and the first 'Level B3' thumbnail. The new 'Level B14'
folder will then of course be dragged onto the iView thumbnail window
after the last of the 'Level B13' thumbnails.

In any case, iView knows and keeps track of files that have been
previously catalogued, but only if the file and folder structure (the
path) are the same. Ie, if you have catalogued a file while in 'Level
B3' and now move that file to 'Level B4', and catalog the folder
'Level B4' again, it will catalogue it again and make a new,
identical thumbnail. If you click on the thumbnail created while the
file was in 'Level B3', it will have a little red warning at the top
right 'file not found'.

Hope this helps. BTW, you can download the manual for iView from
their website and read it before buying the program.

Got to: http://www.iview-multimedia.com/ and from there you can go to
'downloads' and download the full, functioning program and use it for
21 days before it expires. And keep the manual :-).

All the best,

Henning

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff