Subject: [Leica] DMR at 1600 iso
From: leica at robsteve.com (Robert Stevens)
Date: Fri Sep 30 13:18:13 2005

I haven't tried the B&W mode of the DMR yet.

All of this DMR stuff is still new to me and I am still learning what
it can do.  While it was not particularly bright for the shot of my
son, I knew the light was even and there were not any dark
shadows.  This  was within the capability of the DMR.  I need to do
some further testing in dark situations.  The nearest coal mine is a
few hundred miles away and I would have to borrow a neighbors cat to
test the DMR on a truly  dark high noise situation :-)

To be fair, the Leica is probably best at 800 iso and under.   The
target market is probably what I intend to use it for; scenic and
travel with the iso set in the 100-200 range.  Here the DMR excels
with its wide dynamic range and great color.

  I would not suggest Tina take a DMR on her trips where there is a
lot of low light.  On the other hand,  a Digital M with similar
performance at 800 iso is quite capable when paired with the
Noctilux.  Using the 1.37 crop factor, the Noctilux would be using a
lot of its sharp sweet spot.  I think in my travels to Paris, people
shots on the street at night were 1/125th at f1 and 800 film.

Regards,

Robert