Subject: [Leica] A very fleeting blososm...now sharpening
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 16 08:14:12 2006

Ted,

I just read an explanation on the need for sharpening on Canon's site--the
professional advice/school portion. (It might have been Adobe's site; I
plowed through both on the same day.)

Anyway, here's the short-form 'splanation, as it regards Canon CMOS sensors.
If you're shooting RAW, yes, you need to add sharpening to every image. RAW
forgoes/ignores in-camera sharpening parameters.

If you're shooting JPEG, you MIGHT NOT need to sharpen. You can set the
20D's Parameters to a number of different sharpness and contrast levels,
which will appear in JPEGS. Just as when you set the 20D for Monochrome with
RAW and JPEG images, you get color RAW and b&w JPEG.

Again, that's neither the full, nor the technically correct, explanation.
I'll poke around on Canon's site, locate the discourse and post the link.

-Chris Lawson