Subject: [Leica] Is a 5.6/100 Focotar-II 100 worth $1200?
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jun 18 15:58:47 2006

McKeown's Law, of course, comes into play here, but there is a bit more to
the story.

The 5.6/100 Focotar-II was introduced in 1977 for use on the Focomat IIc
and was never catalogued separately.  It only lasted in production until
1983 and is a relatively rare lens.  It is unfortunate that there are very
few collectors of enlarging lenses, as this one would be a plum to own.
However, demand is controlled by users of sheet-film and large-format
enlargers.  For reasons which escape me, as I have never used one though I
have owned several over the years, this lens has come to have an almost
mythic reputation among dark-room guys working in those larger sizes and is
much sought by such folks.  There have been discussions on several of the
darkroom lists about this lens over the years.

I suspect that an APO-Rodagon or the like would be of comparable quality,
but the Focotar-II is much beloved, as is the 4/50 Focotar-2 for miniature
format uses.  The last Leitz enlarging lens, the 2.8/40 WA-Focotar never
got an equal reputation, though it is a workhorse of a lens when that pukey
yellow-green light is on.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!