Subject: [Leica] Suggestions for a travel P/S digital cm under $500?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Aug 1 14:57:29 2006

>I carry a Canon SD450 with me pretty much everywhere I go.
>It occupies the spot in my life that previously was held by my Leica
>IIIf. Street price is around $250. It doesn't have image
>stabilization (I've never seen a camera of that size that does). I'm
>very happy with it. It's not a Leica, but it weighs about 150 grams
>and fits in my pocket without bulging.

A current successor, the SD700 has IS. Pretty close in size, but no
28mm (35-140). If you want that, some Panasonics have 28mm equivalent
and IS, but poorer high ISO. The newest version is the FX50, or LX2
if you want 16:9 ratio and 10 instead of 7 megapixels.

Direct out of camera quality seems to favour the Canons, but the
Panasonics aren't bad. If you have a strong interest in low light
shooting where the subjects might not stay still, there's the Fuji
F30 which has about 3 stops better high ISO performance, but no IS
and no 28mm.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design