Subject: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Thu Dec 21 06:10:10 2006

Vick Ko wrote:
> The question - what is the better choice for jumping into digital?
>
> Canon DSLR vs Nikon DLSR?
>
> 1.  for Canon - can use Leica lenses, but is the sensor inherently better
> (i.e. usage of IR filter in front of sensor)?
> 2.  for Nikon - if I disregard using Leica glass, better sensor?

Well...when it comes to image quality across all ISO ranges the Canon
sensors have the edge.  They are what all others are compared to.   For
cost value ratio...IMHO Nikon is hard to beat.  The D200 (now at $1350
from B&H) is quite a wonderful camera to use.  The Nikon D50 is stunning
and it has great ISO 1600 performance, for a camera that costs under 500
bucks it is amazing.

I just borrowed a friends D200 to play with about a week ago and I
really liked the camera.  Keep in mind I have been a Canon shooter for
years.  I still am Canon, as Nikon as a whole system does not offer what
Canon does.  Canon has the best image quality, the best range of lenses,
a more innovative company with cutting edge innovations....DO lenses
impossible...until Canon did it, CMOS not good enough...until Canon did
it, Tilt AND Shift lenses, only Canon has them.  A 35mm sized sensor
allowing better wide angle lens performance only Canon has it.  I mean
if you are carrying around a body sized for 35mm shouldn't you use a
35mm sized sensor?  If the APS sized sensor cameras were also 1/2 as big
I'd be jumping all over  that format, but they are still twice as big as
they should be. :(

All in all though both systems are very good and you really can't go
wrong with either...but if you plan on shooting at 1600 or 3200 a lot
you really outta get a 5D or 1DII.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography