Subject: [Leica] Re: Olympus vs. Leica
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jul 26 11:45:05 2007

> Mark - How did you set exposure with that lens on the D40x?  I've
> been looking at one but all the info I've found says the meter is non-
> op with non-CPU lenses.  What specific model was the lens?  E.g., AF?
> AI? AF-I?  or something else?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dick
>

> On Jul 20, 2007, at 12:56 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> I carried around and shot with my D40x tonight with an old 28 2.8
>> early AF
>> lens on it in the Lincoln Center area. There was a big  party going
>> on with
>> a musical group with lots of percussionists. I was glad I had a
>> compact 2.8
>> and not a big slow zoom like I often have on my cameras.
>> I focused myself and had a ball doing it.
>> Shot at A set the lens at f4. Not more P for me.
>> The lens is not worth 40 bucks but I love using it.
>
> (snip)
>>
>> Mark Rabiner
>>
>> Snap snap

Its an AF lens and so the exposure works.

If it was not an AI lens I think the exposure doesn't work. Pity.
Love using many lenses of the 70's vintage on my D200.
But to me that's just not a casual work around walk around camera.
Just a bit overly enabling for my blood. My tunnel carpel is waning with
this feather weight I carry for miles with the neck strap wrapped around my
wrist.

So I just now put an old 28mm 3.5 on it I got for 40 bucks.
It says "lens I not attached" on the back of it!!!
So I set it on M and I get my exposures by trial and error like shooting
polaroids. Kind of fun but I'll skip it on this body for the old stuff. Just
use the higher priced spread bodies for the old glass.

The AF 28 2.8 I had on there the other day is the very first AF lens Nikon
made when they just first invented AF. Ugly. Not very popular. Cheap. No
close focusing correction. CRC
No dampening when you focus.
Love it.

Its light as a feather compact and is good wide open at 2.8.

People don't run away when I photograph them with it.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY.

rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor) ([Leica] Re: Olympus vs. Leica)