Subject: [Leica] Armed *White* America?
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Aug 9 10:28:20 2007

At 11:26 PM 8/8/2007, you wrote:
>Simply because Kyle didn't start out to shoot a book representing every
>colour in the rainbow nor ethnic cross section!! Get real! When a book idea
>like this is born it's not to represent all the colours in the rainbow, but
>about people who volunteer their services to be photographed for a potential
>book about guns and folks who own them!

We ran into this problem with the Families of Abraham
project.  Because we were working with several grants, we had to be
politically correct and ethnically and socially diverse with all of
the photos in the project.  We had to find Black and White and Latino
families in the Jewish, Protestant, and Muslim communities who were
willing to be photographed for one year.  We had to include
conservative, moderate, and liberal branches of all three religions.
In the eleven families we chose, we did manage to include almost
every diversity but were eventually criticized by one or two people
because we did not include any Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families or any
families with parents of the same gender.  The only reason they were
excluded is because we couldn't find any who were willing to be
followed and photographed for a year!!  I think it was wonderful that
we got as many diverse families to agree to be included.  If we had
included every subset of every racial, ethnic, and religious group,
the project would have been totally unwieldy.  I'm assuming that Kyle
ran into the same problems.  We have had so many problems here in the
American South with quotas!  If everybody would ignore color of skin
and ethnicity and religion and just see everyone as humans, the world
would be a better place!

Tina

P.S.  The Families of Abraham project closed in Charlotte last
week-end with over 31,000 visitors having seen it.  It was held over
for 3 months by popular demand.  The project is now being packed to
travel and is contracted out with a company that specializes in
photography exhibits.  It may be coming to a city near you soon.  If
so, I hope you'll go and see it!

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Armed *White* America?)