Subject: [Leica] Old lens, new lens
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex)
Date: Sat Aug 11 05:33:18 2007

Frank, may I dare to through my (probably worthless) 0.02 $ ?
Using post-processing (sharpening for instance) and optical detalization
are different thing. The operation doesn't add new information to the
image, it just emphasis the available contrast making an optical
illusion of  "greater" visible sharpness. This may appeal indeed in many
cases and is actually the regular approach to recover some observed
sharpness loss after scanning or digital capture (both are kind of
digital sampling of analog media processes, that inherently impact
original detalization level) preparing the stuff for print, but is
fundamentally different from the detalization/apparent sharpness
delivered by optical ways during capture to analog media. Better
(sharpness-wise) optics deliver a natural detalization level that may be
somewhat "smeared" along in further post-processing, but in no way one
can recap the detalization that wasn't up there through lesser optics by
any post-processing sharpening.
I think this is what Nathan meant to convey...

Alex