Subject: [Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Dec 13 11:44:39 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Steve Unsworth wrote:

> People wearing clothes seems to be a problem. Perhaps people don't
> wear
> black synthetic materials in Canada, but here in the UK - polyester
> capital
> of the world - black synthetics in daylight are an absolute pain
> without the
> filters.
>
> Also if you shoot landscapes you'll notice that the foliage takes on a
> reddish hue, noticeable on leaves and grass in bright sunshine.
>
> If you use wide angle lenses (wider than 28mm) with filters and no
> coding
> you should notice that the corners take on a cyan colour if you
> photograph a
> neutral white surface for example. In fact if you take a shot with
> say a
> coded 24 or 15 you can see the preview on the camera's screen
> correct the
> cyan corners. The image pops up without the correction and then half a
> second or so later the image is corrected - the coding also corrects
> vignetting on lenses, obvious on the Nocti.

thanks Steve, that is extremely interesting...especially the last part.

Some of us seem almost immune to these various problems...

I'm glad I shoot mostly bw...and  when I shoot color I stay away from
polyester...

(of course truth to tell,  I stay away from polyester anyway...)

many have never seen "the problem",  and it's easy to see why that's
the case...

either you avoid it based on your choice of subject, or using bw, or
you can avoid it in other ways...

The few times I used my IR filters they neither hurt nor helped, and I
rarely use them now.

Steve