Subject: [Leica] OT: Nikon D300 impressions so far
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jan 21 23:22:30 2008

> But Mark, the D300 and E-3 are within $100 of each other, and similar
> weight and sizes so it's a fair comparison. The 1.5x crop vs. 2x crop
> is not that much different, especially IF you prefer the 4/3 ratio.

Is sounds like no big deal the difference between 1.5 and 2
Or 1.5 and 1
But the difference is twice the amount mm's across.
1.5 and 1 is the difference between half frame and full frame.
1.5 and 2 is half frame and half half frame.

The fact that the cameras are the same size to not speak so well of the
smaller format camera design.
Instead of making it more equal. Makes it much more less in my book.
Which is perhaps why they don't try harder to make it smaller.
Or intentionally keep it big.

They've got you suckered into looking at Megapixels as if that's the main
story.
Its still format.
Acreage.
One format is twice the size as the other.

I could much quicker get into the 4/3 format if the camera bodies were
smaller to fit the format.

They should be pretty much the same size as the point and shoots.
Fit right in your hand. Like an Olympus Pen F
Which has a format twice its size only film.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com