Subject: [Leica] CV 15mm lens on M8
From: tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara)
Date: Fri Mar 28 09:06:10 2008

If you need the shot regardless of everything else, I would say this
will work more than 99.9% :^) You can always crop later...
On the other hand the result can sometimes be an aesthetical
catastrophe: everything is in focus, the main subject is diluted in a
("noisy") background, etc...

I have just spent 8 days shooting horses and their riders in a very
hot (42?C in the shade), very dusty & dry region in the north of
Benin, testing my very new M8. I will, in the following weeks, post
some pictures and some text about this adventure, but here are my
first impression of the M8...
A few words to the conditions the camera was used in; first: Half of
the time it was about portraits of horses with their owners/riders,
people caring for horses, etc - very calm. The other half was in
action - horses galopping in narrow streets or doing figures,
sometimes less than 1.5 meters from my nose, I was sometimes on a
scooter (behind the driver) amongst the horses and shooting from
there...
Two constants: dust & heat.

- The M is a great camera for this kind of shooting mainly because it
is very light. First I wanted to go the R route with long lenses and
changed my mind later on and bought the M8. Following one's intuition
is a very good thing... ;^)
- The M8 is absolutely fantastic, but has some drawbacks when
compared to my film M's. For example: I can shoot 36 images in a row
with Tom A's Rapidwinder and get a bit more than 2 images/second - no
problem whatsoever. The M8 gives me about the same, but sometimes it
just blocks! The screen then gives the following message: "Attention:
Data Transfer", the red light in the bottom right corner of screen
blinks and nothing happens. This can last minutes!!! Only if I
briefly take out the battery, I would regain control - and lose 10
pictures. I have lost more than a 100 pictures in this fashion.
Something I'll check with Leica.
- I'm very satisfied with the battery life of the M8. I know it's not
as "good" as the Canons battery life, but I managed to shoot up to 3
2Gb SD cards on one battery, including the chimping. Ok, I did this
in a very short period of time - maybe 3 hours.
- The frames in the M8 viewfinder are nothing like the ones in my
film Ms. I'm tempted to say they're a joke. I don't know if this is
regular, but the one's on my M8 are very unconsistent and absolutely
unprecise. Unprecise in an unconsistent way - depending on the lens
used and the distance focused. I had to go wider to make sure I
didn't miss something in the action... And here is one of
inconveniences of the smaller than 24x36mm sensor: I get the depth of
field of the original lens, but a cropped field!
- The minimum ISO of 160 is too high! Specially when you consider the
depth of field problems due to the smaller sensor! I sometimes found
myself shooting at 1/8000 and f5.6...
- I didn't shoot too much in available darkness, the ones I did where
made at 320 ISO and -2 fstops. The end result is very similar to
Provia 400. I liked that.
- Dust. Ok, I admit that it was very dusty. Very very very dusty! I
had the impression that the M8 sensor acted like a dust magnet!
Something I didn't notice that much with dslr's... I had to clean the
camera, lenses and sensor every night. I would like to say that I'm
more than satisfied with the lenspen for cleaning the sensor and the
Zeiss cleaning kit for lenses.
- The picture quality is stunning!

After shooting 5000 pictures with the M8, I think it's a great
camera, very practical and discreet. By the end of the next
assignment (Syria/Jordan next month), I will have paid the M8 with
the money I would have spent on film and processing. I'll probably
buy a second M8 soon!

I did have film backup. And my Rolleiflex for fun. I shot maybe 3
rolls of Provia and 6 rolls of Plus-X 120...

Oh, one other thing... I'll definitly upgrade to the saphire glass!

All the best from the south of France!

Tarek

Tarek Charara
<http://www.pix-that-stimulate.com>

Le 28 mars 08 ? 15:20, TED GRANT a ?crit :

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT) ([Leica] CV 15mm lens on M8)