Subject: [Leica] the ultimate digest Leica criticism thread
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:04:13 -0800

Steve Unsworth asked:

> Just a quick question Ted, did you treat your own children in the same way
> when they were at home? Lock them in cupboards for hours maybe, or banged
> their heads against a table if they answered a question incorrectly?<<<<

Not at all.
However they did get a smack on the butt if they were told not to do
something for their own good. As in reaching to the top of the stove when it
was on and they'd been told not to do so several times. It's three times and
you are out! Then they'd get a smack on the butt! This is a big difference
compared to some people who don't know the difference between "beating
children" and those who know a good smack on the ass with further words of
discouragement, children learn, "No" means No!

>>>If not, do you think they would have been better people if you had?<<,,,

No not at all. Parents who beat or torture their children locking them up
only beget people who beat others and or unfortunately, develop twisted
minds to beat others in whatever fashion during the aftermath of their
lives.

> We had some sadistic teachers when I was at school too. I remember one
> occasion in a German lesson where the teacher lost his temper with a
> pupil,
> put his head in the desk and repeatedly banded the top of the desk on the
> back of his head, not as a punishment but purely and simply because he'd
> lost both his temper and his control. Others were throwing board dusters
> around. Another - a P.E. Teacher - used to watch the young boys when they
> were taking a shower. I could go on.<<<<<

As far as I know we never had any "boy watchers."  I would say "Basher Reid"
never lost his temper during the 5 years I attended Danforth Tech in
Toronto, Canada. But he did give a few good lessons in discipline. Actually
most students behaved and really put every moment into learning from this
teacher. Yes as always, there were some smart asses that needed a smack or
two before they got the message that we were there to learn, not fooling
around. And if he smacked someone, rarely did he ever have to give the
student another during the complete school year.

> I normally agree with you Ted, but I think you are wrong in promoting
> control by fear. If kids misbehave it's because of the parents IMHO.<<<<<

Well I don't think I was promoting fear, we did learn a great deal in his
classes. Some kids went on to win scholarships and credited it to the fact
"Basher Reid" made them study extremely hard which carried them through to
be better students in all venues.

>>>If kids misbehave it's because of the parents IMHO.<<<<<

I absolutely and unequivocally agree!  Bad parents beget bad kids. In many
cases it would be far more  beneficial to give the parent a good smack on
the side of the head or butt! But then some of those parents grew up in
constant fear from drunken or abusive parents, so they don't know any other
way than beating or physically punishing a child to behave.

I beleive we are on the same path on the discipline. My points about Basher
Reid and his smacking a student for disrupting a class created very strong
stories for many students before they got to his classes. Everyone heard the
stories so everyone figured better to behave and learn than get smacked for
fooling around. Actually in this case just the stories were enough for
everyone behaving.

When we were in his class everything was head down and learning without
distraction from students who didn't take learning very seriously.

cheers,
ted