Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:33:16 -0400 (EDT)

Henning Wulff wrote:

> while lens based IS does introduce more air/glass surfaces
> along with more elements, that should also be the only additional
> consideration regarding decentering; ie, more elements, more chance
> of decentering.

The operating principle of IS or VR is intentional decentering.  That's how
it works.  Also, the IS unit adds a LOT of air/glass surfaces.  For example
the EOS 100-400 L IS has 17 elements in 14 groups - that's 28 air/glass
surfaces.  This lens is known for sample variation and weaker image quality
at the long end.

Another example: the EOS 300mm f/4 IS has 15 elements in 11 groups, 22
air/glass surfaces.  Known for poorer image quality than its non-IS
predecessor and described to me by someone who compared it with the 280mm
f/4 APO as a "cruel joke" (his words, not mine).  The 280mm f/4 APO has 7
elements in 6 groups - 12 air/glass surfaces + 4 surfaces for the front
protective plate and rear filter.  I'd rather not muck with optics to get
stability.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com