Subject: [Leica] Demise of film
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:30:48 -0400

*Q. What percent of your sales are film cameras?*

The film cameras are running under 5 percent.

This doesn't really tell me anything. Is that based on unit sales or
revenue?

Even if you knew the answer, the real question is how many units  of
film cameras were sold last year compared to the units sold the year
before that.

Richard Man wrote:
> Sad. The digital onslaught continues...

http://www.northjersey.com/news/89346507_Leica_president_focused_on_big_picture.html?c=y&page=1

- - - - - - -

The real question is how much film is being sold and how long will it
continue to be available. Film cameras live a very long time. I took some
pictures the other day with a 60 year old camera (Leica IIIc) using an 80
year old lens (Elmar 35mm f3.5).  According to my two relatives still
gainfully employed at at Kodak the commercial film operation will be shut
down within 10 years. This brings a sense of gloom and doom to Rochester,
NY, a city that prospered on the basis of full Kodak employment. Too bad.
Rochester and its suburbs are really quite nice and houses and real estate
are going at a small fraction of their price in boom years.

Now if everyone bought Leicas with Kodak made sensors - - -

Larry Z (a dissatisfied Kodak stockholder)

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Demise of film)