Subject: [Leica] OT: Epson 1280 recommendations
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 14:57:37 +0100

James wrote...

 > I've heard that the Epsons are ink hogs. Have you noticed this in your
 > printing? (Of course some people complain if they have to spend a $ to
 > get quality;-)
 >
 > Jim Laird

The A3 printers are 'ink hogs' in my experience, though this is due more
to the small ink cartridges.  I used to have an Epson 2400 and the ink
cartridges in that were (IIRC) about 12ml each and used to cost about
?10 each.  I replaced the 2400 with a 3800.  Whilst the difference in
initial outlay was considerable, the fact that the 3800 has 80ml
cartridges makes it a much, much more economical proposition.
When I was looking to replace the 2400 I checked out the HP B3800
printer (an A3 printer with similar capacity cartridges to the Epson
2400) and calculated that it the difference in cost for the larger,more
expensive printer would be recovered in just over a year.  The figures I
used to arrive at this are on my blog
http://www.monomagic.co.uk/blog/?p=39 and take into account a ?150
discount that I received just for owning another Epson printer.

So far, the 3800 has proved to be very economical to run and if you have
the space, I'd recommend it or its newer sibling, even if you don't
intend to do A2+ prints.

HTH

Mark

Mark Pope,