Subject: [Leica] : Cell Phone Parts at the Gate - Kabul NOW MAJOR QUESTION?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:17:19 -0700

Hugh Thompson showed::

>> There are many of these hawkers who come to the gate to sell products,
>> these two specialize in cell phone parts.  The guard was in need of a
>> cover for his phone.

Hi Hugh,
Very nice for a change seeing three young guys without AK47's slung over
their shoulder and eyeing you as though some alien from another planet. And
without the usual facial expression of.. "Another infidel to kill when I get
a chance look!"

A question came up yesterday while a few folks were having a quiet afternoon
looking at pictures from the battle areas of the Middle East and the people
of the sub-continent and the question was..... And some neat images from the
Summer Olympics.

"THIS IS COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC! HOWEVER MAYBE A LEARNED PERSON OUT THERE CAN
ANSWER IT?"

Given North America, Canada & USA were settled by huge numbers of poor
people from Europe, farmers and thousands of just plain ordinary everyday
folks who struggled to survive the winters like they'd never experienced.
And thousands of miles of just huge open plains and mountains of nothing.
And yet it evolved into the countries we see today. Big cities, paved roads,
great looking shopping and residential areas and beautiful wilderness where
we can move about without fear.

AND NO GUNS! Well in Canada it is illegal to carry a gun without a permit
from the police. They rarely give permission! Yes we do have some bad ass
types who use them for some kind of gang related crap over drugs and
hookers. But it's extremely rare and when caught they go to jail.

So how is it we evolved to the thriving modern countries we are, when there
was nothing here a few hundred years ago? Compared to the people of the
middle east, sub-continent wherever on that side of the world who have been
there thousands of years and it always appears they are still wallowing in
slums, dirt roads of the past thousand years? And they were there long
before anyone sailed to North America with nothing, in many cases nothing
but the clothes on their back?

So what was? Is? The defining element that made one part become such
thriving countries? While nearly every photo we see from the subcontinent
and middle East on the other side of the world, they're still living in the
conditions of 2 - 3 thousand year ago. And not any better off? How did we do
what we've done in a few hundred years when they've had many thousands of
years?

The City of Dubai of course isn't included because it is "modern." Well I
suppose it depends whose money is running the operation.

Any answers folks? Well it's a weekend so lets have a break from all the
Leica misery! ;-) Please don't msake it too heavy duty and just keep it
simple. Thank you

cheers,
Dr.ted

Replies: Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] : Cell Phone Parts at the Gate - Kabul NOW MAJOR QUESTION?)